Sunday, January 23, 2011

INTERVIEW: Regis Philbin on fave TV moments

Interview I did with Regis Philbin few days before his big announcement:

Regis Philbin, who dropped a bombshell with the recent on-air announcement that he would leave “Live with Regis and Kelly” later this year, didn’t hesitate when asked about his favorite episode from the show he has hosted for more than a quarter century.

It involved the retirement of another television icon in 1992.

“The one that I did in Johnny Carson’s last few months on air,” Philbin said by phone from Palm Beach a few days before making his shocking statement. “I knew he wouldn’t sit still for an interview but I called his producer, a longtime friend, Peter Lassally, and told him I had an idea for one more shot at Johnny before the show ends."

Continue reading.

Regis Philbin and Joy Philbin at the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall in Sarasota on Jan. 26.

Photo: Regis Philbin. Credit: Chris Pizzello / Associated Press

No comments: