Sunday, April 24, 2011

FAN MAIL: 'Are you just a JERK??'

Bill will no longer be purchasing the Bradenton Herald.

Because I'm a "jerk."

“2.3 billion people cannot be wrong, you must be very jealous of our British History or are you just a JERK??,” reads the email Bill sent me today. “I wonder how many Brits will stop buying your paper after your unnecessary comments about our Royal family, I know I will.”

The Bradenton Herald has a British readership?

They read my Sunday column?

Sweet!

And I’m sure the majority of them have a greater sense of humor than Bill.

After all, we’re talking about a country that has produced such satirical, comic geniuses as the Monty Python crew, Peter Sellers, Ricky Gervais and Russell Brand, just to name a few.

I wonder at which point Bill decided to fire off the proverbial “cancel my subscription” missive.

Maybe as soon as he saw the headline: “A royal wedding protest.”

Or a little father down when he got to this paragraph:

“That’s 2.3 billion estimated viewers.
Am I missing something here?
After getting hitched, will Prince William and Catherine Middleton be making a special announcement?
A plan for peace in the Middle East?
Maybe a nuclear disarmament declaration?
Perhaps J.K. Rowling has penned a new Harry Potter novel?”

I found my finale kinda funny. Bill probably didn’t.

“The days of make-believe royalty should have been abolished back in 1215 along with the issuing of the Magna Carta — or at least by the time the Duchess of York became a shill for Weight Watchers.”

I hope Bill and the rest of the Bradenton Herald’s British readership don’t jump ship because this Yankee decided to take the, ah, mickey, out of the royal family.

Cheers!

No comments: