Friday, September 9, 2011

UPDATED 9/11 WITH GOOD NEWS: Bradenton's Shantel Norman performs tonight on 'Karaoke Battle USA'

UPDATED 9/11:
Shantel Norman, far right, with the other three finalists from ABC's "Karaoke Battle USA"

Shantel Norman advanced to finals! 

"Well on to the national finals next Friday 9 p.m.," she posted on Facebook. "I appreciate everyone's support and the fans of good soul music. Some don't approve of my soulfulness but most do ;) this is who i am, what I love, and too bad I cant and won't change my voice to satisfy man. I only satisfy God and myself."

Bradenton singer Shantel Norman on "Karaoke Battle USA" with host Joey Fatone. Courtesy of ABC.

Watch Bradenton singer Shantel Norman tonight on the semifinal round of "Karaoke Battle USA," airing at 9 p.m. on ABC. Filmed at the House of Blues in Hollywood, Calif., she performs a super-charged rendition of the Tina Turner hit "The Best."

Norman had never performed the song before and had only three days to learn it. But judging by the preview clip below, she nailed it. Just watch the reaction on judge Carnie Wilson's face.
 
"To learn it I would go to sleep with it playing on my iPod,” said Norman, who sings locally with the reggae band Democracy, when contacted by phone this morning.


Before Norman could sing "The Best" she had to make a personal connection with the song.

"In my mind,  a song has to mean something to me so when I’m doing 'The Best' it's for my son," she said. "He was with me in Hollywood and when he was little I would sing to him."

Norman's 10-year-old Kaderius Pearson attends H.S. Moody Elementary School in Bradenton.

"You might be able to see him on tonight’s episode standing right there by the stage," she said. “I told the judges I dedicated the song to my son, we’ll see if they air it.”


“Karaoke Battle USA” debuted Aug. 12 and features the top karaoke singers across the country. Hosted by Joey Fatone (’N Sync, “Dancing with the Stars”), the judges are Wilson (Wilson Phillips, “Bridesmaids”), Joe Levy (editor-in-chief at Maxim magazine; formerly an editor at Rolling Stone) and Brian Scott (winner of the 2009 Karaoke National Championship).

You can also vote for your favorite semifinalist online www.karaokebattleusa.com.

Last week, Norman advanced by performing a knockout, Aretha Franklin-style rendition of “Respect.” “Karaoke Battle USA” airs Fridays at 9 p.m. and concludes Sept. 16. The winner receives a one-album contract with Hollywood Records and a trip to Ireland to represent the U.S.A. in a world karaoke competition.

“It’s gonna be a good show tonight," Norman said. "I can't wait for it to air.”

Here's the sneak peek of tonight's show from ABC's website. Watch Norman close the clip at the 2:30 mark with "The Best":


video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

No comments: