Friday, May 4, 2012

Top 10: Beastie Boys songs

In honor of the sad, untimely passing of Beastie Boy Adam Yauch, aka MCA, here are my favorite tracks from the pioneering hip-hop act that last month entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

These are the party songs my high school friends and I blasted while misbehaving our way through the suburbs of North Tampa in the mid-1990s.

Each one brings back a special set of memories, most probably best left unshared.

By the way, I've only had one bumper sticker in my entire life and it adorned the back of my first car.

A faded, old maroon Pontiac Grand Am.

The sticker simply read: "Beastie Boys."

1. "Egg Man," Paul's Boutique
2. "Sabotage," Ill Communication
3. "No Sleep Till Brooklyn," Licensed to Ill
4.  "Jimmy James," Check Your Head
5.  "Fight For Your Right," Licensed to Ill
6.  "Intergalactic," Hello Nasty
7. "Shake Your Rump," Paul's Boutique 
8. "So What'cha Want," Check Your Head
9. "The Sounds of Science," Paul's Boutique 
10. "Brass Monkey," Licensed to Ill
 
—Photo of Adam Yauch  by Mary Altaffer/Associated Press 

No comments: